Winter is here. If you haven’t yet, It is time to prepare your home for colder and wetter weather. Here are some tips on how to prepare your home for these winter months.
- Clean gutters and downspouts to ensure proper drainage. Overflowing gutters can lead to wood rot of fascias/siding and water problems in crawlspaces and basements. Check to see gutters are properly secured to building. Gutters that are full of debris and water can pull away from the building.
- Check that landscaping slopes away from the home so that water does not pool around the homes foundation and does not end up in crawlspaces/basements.
- Roofs and siding should be checked for damage and repairs made to prevent further damage or water entry into the home.
- Windows and doors should be inspected to ensure proper operation and missing or damaged weather-stripping should be replaced to prevent drafts.
- Outdoor furniture should be put away and plants that are susceptible to cold temperatures should be protected.
- Wood burning fireplaces and chimneys should be cleaned and checked by a qualified professional. Creosote can build up in chimneys and can result in chimney fires.
- Gas fireplaces should be cleaned and have necessary maintenance performed on an annual basis.
- Heating system should be checked and maintained by a qualified professional for optimal performance and efficiency. Furnace filters should be changed or cleaned monthly during the heating season. This is also a good time to have ducts cleaned.
- Turn water off to outside hosebibs and ensure any exposed pipes are properly insulated.